Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Neighborhood

This is a really pleasant neighborhood right in the back yard of the marina. I have managed to get a nice walk in every day since I've been back. The streets are beautifully lined with live oak trees that often create a covering shade canopy - some have moss hanging down creating a wonderful picture. The homes are mostly understated and usually have lots of shade plants and occasionally fences to maintain privacy from the street but as I walk I can often peek through and see they have nice backyards with pools. This ocean beach with 1/4 mile long boardwalk is just a 3/4 mile easy walk from the dingy dock. The beach and boardwalk are part of a large public park. this photo faces north - if I walk south another 1/4 mile I am in the boutique and hotel part of Vero - not very interesting but still pleasant to walk or ride our bikes through. Ice cream cones go for a lot of dough though. Florida is flat ~ the only hills I can find are the beach stairs so I try to go up and down those a few times to work my thighs and my ever healing knee. As I left the beach yesterday I walked down "Live Oak" blvd, ironically not a single live oak on it - I turned left on Kumquat and not a single kumquat tree - but it reminded me of the older couple I sat next to on the plane from JFK to palm Springs. They had a tree as their carry on. The gentleman was in the isle seat and tried to squeeze it between his feet. The stewardess offered to take it up front for him ~ for those who haven't flown Jet Blue - one of the friendliest airlines around ~ He had a strong accent - I think perhaps Greek I'm really not sure - but they were from Westport , CT and he explained to me his friend grew the small tree in his greenhouse and gave it to him as a gift. They owned a Fairfield County huge home that cost $45,000. a year to maintain. He assured me that meant everything - tax, insurance, utilities etc. They sold that home a few years ago (lucky him ) and bought a condo in Westport and a home in West Palm FL in a gated community. He was very funny , I had to strain to understand him but he told me that they are not allowed fruit bearing trees in the gated community due to pests. He previously had a kumquat tree in his yard that the powers at be cut down. This gated community thing bores him and by April he is more than ready to go home, still involved at 80 in the family business - so this is his fun- to see if he can get away with keeping his new tree - this time in a pot - the story was told with such glee and mischief I really got a kick out of him.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like life in Fl. is quieter than here in DC! Molly, Sean & I are here for the inaugural craziness. Pam flies in tomorrow. Went into DC yesterday-the crowds weren't too bad and seeing the set-up was pretty neat. Staying away from the concert at Lincoln Mem. today (though it was tempting!) but will certainly be there Tues. Cold, but sure is exciting!

Unknown said...

Marg, I was thinking the other day I could really use a couple days of warmth and water (I couldn't believe I was actually feeling this way in the middle of ski season, but I was) So I must say I am a tad jelouse hope all is well and enjoy a walk on the beach for me.

P.S. my family is crazy to be in DC w/ 4 million other people.

Anonymous said...

And I have my moments where I would love to be on a ski slope ! Good to hear from you - find a cheap flight and coem on down ! That family of yours is crazy but I'm sure wll love being part of this amazing history - love, marg

Anonymous said...

YOU now have strangers following your blog, was that your intent, thought it was for family and friends...sure you want the world to know all????